Thursday, September 6, 2012

Reoccurring Themes of Gary Snyder

     After reading a handful of poems written by Gary Snyder in the collection of hi writings found in the Book Titled "Turtle Island" I realized how connected to the world around him Gary seems to be. In his poem "No Matter, Never Mind" he maps out a very detailed an intertwined family tree of the world and how he sees that it is all connected in one way or another. I thought it was very interesting how it was mapped out. I flipped a few pages and looked for a longer poem and found "On San Gabriel Ridges" where once again I saw the pattern of connection. Gary starts off writing about his dreams of country but ends up stating that his thoughts are "woven into the dark. Squirrel hairs..." He is using analogies that are very odd to me and I have never heard anything like it. Lastly I read "For the Children" which discussed children of two different places meeting for peace, if it was established a connection between the children and the land.
     The three poems connect everything, each time I re-read one of the poems I find myself seeing a different connection. There are a lot of undertones and can understand why Gary Snyder is studied and his works analyzed.

No comments:

Post a Comment